Skip to main content

Books That Make a Childhood No.1 Matilda by Roald Dahl



The book I have decided to start off the blog with is a classic, but when I look back to my childhood it is the definitive book that stands out time and time again. After all, if ever there was a champion for any child who loves to read, it is Roald Dahl’s Matilda.

It is always difficult to pin down exactly what it is about a book that you love, when the book is so deeply ingrained in your childhood. I remember reading Matilda again and again almost obsessively,
never tiring of the characters and the story. It is hard as an adult to try and break down and explain the magical experiences of childhood.

But here it goes… first and foremost, I love the intelligence and wit of Matilda, combined with her child’s need for love and affection. Watching her take on the adults in her life and win is hilarious, but the way in which she discovers a new maternal
figure in Miss Honey, is also deeply moving. It is essentially the narrative of two lonely outsiders who find each other, and reminds us that for all the grotesque characters and events, it is a story about love.

On the other hand, the villains of the story are truly spectacular, most notably of course the incomparable Miss Trunchbull. I often used the extract where Dahl introduces Miss Trunchbull when Iwas teaching students about descriptive writing, as it is a masterclass in characterisation.

Dahl makes her actions so extreme that rather than being frightened of her, we find her humorous. After all, the idea of throwing a child out the window by
the pigtails is so ridiculous and removed from reality, it definitely becomes funny rather than disturbing.

Likewise the episode where she forces Bruce Bogtrotter to eat the whole chocolate cake as a punishment. The genius of the punishment makes us laugh, although admittedly if anything were to ever put me off chocolate cake, that just might!

Overall, the message of the book is one that any parent can happily pass on to their child. The TV watching habits of the Wormwood family have produced horrible, vacuous individuals who cheatt heir way through life. Matilda’s love of reading on the other hand, gives her a friend for life, and the wit and insight to take down the bullying adults in her life. She has “a view of life that they had never seen”, and she turns this to her advantage. The book is a
homage to the act of reading, and therefore
definitely deserves a place on this list.


Sounds Right Phonics classes open up a world of literacy for children and adults. To find out more, check out my Facebook page: www.facebook.com/soundsrightphonicsdartford


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Postnatal Depression and Me

Like so many of us, I found the news from the weekend devastating. I did not know Caroline Flack, and I did not watch a single episode of Love Island. But I did watch every performance of hers in Strictly Come Dancing, including the final in 2014. This final stands out to me, not just because of Caroline’s sensational dance performances, but because this was the Christmas where I had literally just found out that I was pregnant with my daughter, Julia. As I watched Caroline absolutely smash the final, I did not know that I had started a journey that was going to have lasting consequences for me, far beyond the day I went into hospital to give birth. I know like many survivors of severe depression, reading about her death has stirred up memories and given me flashbacks to a time when I too felt there was no other way out. Caroline’s death has shown that mental illness is real, and it kills. This is why I finally feel ready to properly share my story with you all. I had suffered from

Books That Make a Childhood No.5 The Tiger Who Came to Tea by Judith Kerr

Whenever anyone asks for my favourite book from early childhood, before I discovered the world of Narnia or The Faraway Tree and certainly long before the doors to a certain school of witchcraft and wizardry were open, it has to be the simple but gorgeous story of a tiger and a little girl called Sophie. The first reason why I think every child is enchanted with this book has to be the visual appeal. The drawings are stunning, especially the use of colour. If I close my eyes, I can see the orange fur of the tiger, the purple of Sophie’s dress, the red icing on the cake and the beautiful street scene in the dark at the end. You can see the loving detail that has gone into every single image, and this is what makes the book live and breathe. The second is the charming story that the book tells. The visit from the tiger who eats all the food is funny and exciting for a young child, and a figure that could be threatening suddenly becomes a figure of fun and joy. Rather than hurting anyone,